Read/review the following resources for this activity:
• Textbook: Chapter 9, 10
• Minimum of 1 scholarly source (in addition to the textbook)
Option 1: Examine the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1980s. Include the following in your discussion:
• What were the main reasons for the collapse?
• What role did the constant state of militarism and the costs of keeping up with the U.S. military buildup have
on the Soviet economy?
• What role did uprisings and rebellions in Poland, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, and East Germany (among others)
have on the sudden collapse of the USSR?
Option 2: Examine communism and socialism.
• We hear so often today that socialism and communism are the same thing. Examine the similarities and
differences between the two.
• Why do so many Americans seem to hate even the word “socialism”?
• We already employ some socialism in this country today (and for the past several decades). Examples include
libraries, police departments, public education, Social Security, Medicare/Medicaid, public parks,
roads/highways, and so on. How do these services factor into arguments for or against socialism?
• Minimum of 2 sources cited (assigned readings/online lessons and an outside source)
• APA format for in-text citations and list of references