Write a lab summary (4-6 pages) that may include (but is not limited to): description of network testing to verify connectivity and routing; troubleshooting steps; how devices can be managed and tested; evaluation of technology complexity; considerations for adopting this technology at home or in the workplace; what you learned about emerging technologies from the lab.
In spite of our advances in networking technologies, networks are still slow to converge after catastrophic events (for example, Hurricane Harvey). New layer 3 and 4 protocols are being developed to greatly reduce browser page loads as well as to reduce network convergence times during such events. In addition, new emerging threats are occurring at an alarming rate.
This assessment focuses on a “hands-on” activity to secure a local area network against emerging threats. We will explore IPsec (or IP security). The Internet of Things and IPsec go hand in hand. As we create a never-ending amount of virtual private networks, they will need to be secured. For example, we certainly would not want our home network with access to everything from our phone to our garage door opener to be hacked while we are away. IPsec is the solution for new, emerging technologies with layer 2 and layer 3 addresses.
To complete this assessment, you will use the Cisco Packet Tracer you used in the previous assessments.
Watch the following video:
Then use the Cisco Packet Tracer to complete the lab titled “Going Back to Basics: Securing the Network Against Emerging Threats.”
- The video is a “follow along” step by-step instructional video that will reinforce foundational principles that are still paramount to protect your network against modern threats.
You may also choose to access the optional resources in the Studies for this assessment.
Follow these steps to complete this assessment:
- While you are completing the lab, consider:
- How devices can be managed and tested.
- Insights learned from the lab concerning models that inform development of implementation plans for new technology.
- How you would advocate for acquiring this technology with key leaders in your organization.
- The complexity of configuring IPsec.
- Troubleshooting steps.
- The steps you completed to secure a network.
- Write a lab report (4–6 pages) that includes the following:
- Explain how to configure Secure Shell (SSH) and how to apply an access control list for Remote Access to the SHH.
- Explain how to configure port security.
- Explain how to configure the basic infrastructure for IPsec as part of advocating for its implementation.
- Explain how to create the access control lists as part of advocating for IPsec permissions.
- Create a set of rules from the transform set to advocate for eventual acquisition of IPsec.
- Draft a conclusion to your lab report that includes (but is not limited to) the following:
- Describe insights learned from the lab concerning models that inform development of implementation plans for new technology.
- Submit your Packet Tracer file and lab report.