WEL91002 Social Policy and Law for Social Work
Assessment task 1 (weighting 40%, due week 7, 1500 words): Essay
Due date: 14 December 2020 11:00 PM
Instructions: Using your chosen case study, key concepts, readings from Topics 1-4, and wider
research, critically analyse how this case study is constructed in social policy and the law in Australia,
and identify some challenges for the social worker.
Assessment 1 marking criteria:
- Knowledge (15%): uses evidence to demonstrate understanding the social problems and issues
in the chosen case study, including understanding of the scope of the problem, reference to
relevant and current legislation and social policy, and demonstrated understanding of the
current and historical context of policy.
- Critical analysis (15%): uses evidence to demonstrate analysis of the construction of social
problems in social policy and the law, analysis of social work practice within legal and policy
context, and insight into the experience of people / service users / clients in case study and field
- Communication (5%): accurate, appropriate academic writing and logic are evident.
- Referencing (5%): accurate use of relevant, specific and appropriate academic references, legal,
policy and other references using the specified referencing style.
Referencing style: APA 6th. Please refer to the Southern Cross University Referencing Guide at
This assessment task aims to address the following key learning outcomes:
- Explain the ways in which the law and social policy provide both opportunities for and
constraints on social work practice
- Explain the legal obligations of practising social workers in Australia
- Analyse legal and policy processes in relation to particular fields of social work practice, including
mental health, domestic violence, and social security