The Assessment Task
This assessment comprises a 5,000 words research report, identifying emerging business opportunities in an organisation, industry or topic area of research of the student’s choosing, followed by a critical analysis of the options and facets culminating in justified strategic recommendations.
Actual content will vary between projects dependent on the choice of organisation, industry or topic area, and availability of secondary data.
The research report should be divided into the following suggested (but not exclusive) sections:
• Introduction – Research background
• Organisation/industry/topic area identification
• Literature review
• Research methods
• Data collection and analysis
• Recommendations / Growth strategy proposal
• Conclusion – A brief summary of the research project
• Total word count (excluding appendices) 5,000
o Resources within the organisation
o Evidence of entrepreneurial orientation
o Influence of founders
o Global, regional and emerging markets
o Socio cultural influences
o Environmental and competitive analysis
o Sources of opportunity
o Opportunity evaluation and management
o Information sources and their validity
o Risk analysis
o Scenario planning
o Ethical and corporate social responsibility issues
Strategies for growth
o Market-led approaches
o Resource-led approaches
o Partnerships and alliances
The research report is assessed on a range of appropriate criteria, including:
• Recognition of the importance of an entrepreneurial approach to the process of opportunity spotting / management
• Breadth, relevance and validity of research sources
• Appropriate use of analytical methods and frameworks
• Linking theory and practice
• Evidence of applied innovation
• A logically developed argument
• Critical thinking, good scholarly practice
• Structure and presentation to a good commercial standard
On successful completion of this assessment, you will be able to:
1) Subject-Specific Knowledge, Understanding & Application
a) Provide a researched context for the identified organisation or topic area.
b) Identify, critically appraise and select growth strategies for an organisation/industry demonstrating a critical understanding of the strategic and tactical challenges.
c) Apply theoretical models and frameworks to achieve an analysis of an identified organisation/industry’s current strategy and justify opportunities.
2) Employability & Changemaker Skills
d) Provide a comprehensively researched and detailed analysis of emerging opportunities within a specific business sector and show an awareness of the contrasting influences.
e) Engage confidently in academic professional communication within a written report submission.
The Assessment Task