Paper Title: Foundational Documents Guiding the Opioid Crisis
- Understand the information presented by the identified foundational documents as they pertain to the opioid crisis
- Create interventions to support using a non-pharmacologic approach to patient care
Access the following foundational documents as they pertain to the management and/or prescribing of opioids:
The joint Commission Standards (2018 response to the opioid crisis), Centers for Medicare and Medicaid perspective on prescribing opioids, The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines for prescribing opioids,
Nurse Practice Act, and
the ANA Code of Ethics.
- For each standard, state the standard and discuss how the standard supports safe and effective pain management.
- Display the information using a MS Word document. State the standard, the sources of the standard, and the implication for practice.
Standard Source of the Standard Implications for Practice Patient advocacy ANA Code of Ethics. Discuss how the standard supports patient care.
The Joint Commission Pain Standards (2018) requires the hospital offer non-pharmacologic pain modalities. There is a great deal in the literature related to non-pharmacologic approaches.
- Select one approach you want to pursue using in practice and develop an action plan to support implementation of the non-pharmacologic modality. (Examples: Pet Therapy, massage, distraction, music therapy, aroma therapy and so on).
- Remember there may be other healthcare professionals you want to include in the development of the action plan. Include a plan for evaluating the selected modality.
- Be sure to include political, economic, and social considerations for individuals, organizations, and government agencies (micro, meso, and macro levels).
- The link to the Joint commission and resource information for an action plan are provided below:
- The Joint Commission Pain Standards _2018 Action Plan Resource
- Use the Template below to guide the development of your action plan
- Secure 10-15 peer reviewed sources (2015-2020) to support the development of this assignment based on the non-pharmacologic intervention selected.
- The entire assignment should be between 8-10 pages.·Include a title page using current APA format and Reference page.
Action Plan Template (Boswell & Cannon, 2020) Implementation of a non-pharmacologic intervention into the practice setting Target Date Completion Action Steps Accountable Person(s) Assigned Person(s) Actual Completion Date Evidence supporting the change/implementation:
Develop a narrative describing support from the literature and practice guidelines for the selected non-pharmacologic modality:
Managing the Opioid Crisis: Taking the Lead4
Setting where implementation will take place:
Barriers to implementation:
Education of stakeholders/users:
Communication/dissemination of the plan:
Evaluation of the plan:
Action plan Template: