This is built around giving a presentation in which you are required to apply two areas of theory covered in Weeks 1 to 6, in the following stages:
- Weeks 1 to 6: Choose theory and context(s) (theory from weeks 1 to 6, context (company / leader) from anywhere)
- (No need) Formative submission (Week 7): Written summary of content to cover application of theory and content (UNGRADED). Developmental feedback provided.
- Summative submission (Week 9): Written summary (25% OF COMPONENT MARK). Developmental feedback provided on Professionalism, Application of Theory and Content.
- Summative submission (Week 9): Draft videoed presentation recorded in your own time (25% OF COMPONENT MARK). Developmental feedback provided on Professionalism only.
- Summative submission (Week 11 or 12): Live final presentation via Collaborate (50% OF COMPONENT MARK). Marking of Professionalism, Application of Theory and Content.
- Optional Submission: Optional Reflective Statement, post-presentation to indicate how you might improve.
The key marking criteria are:
• Application of Theory
Please see the Assessment 1 Brief and Supplementary Guidance for more deta
Wk w.b. Theme Main theoretical content
Sept 28 LEADERSHIP
– Behavioural approach to leadership (Blake and Mouton)
- Trait approach to leadership (The Big 5)
- Contingency approach to leadership (Tannenbaum and Schmidt)
Oct 5 GOVERNANCE – Key roles of the Board of Directors
- Structure of the Board of Directors
- Composition of the Board of Directors, structure, committees 3 Oct 12 CHANGE
- Lewin’s Force Field Analysis
- Kurt Lewin: 3-step model of change
- Kotter’s stages in a change process (2014)
- Yukl et al Influence Tactics 4 Oct 19 LEADERSHIP
- Mintzberg’s Managerial Roles (2001)
- Hughes (2014): leadership incompetence
- Dixon (1976): military incompetence
- Gregory (2018) on absentee leadership
- Hunter et al (2010) on leader error
Oct 26 GOVERNANCE – Influences on the Remuneration decisions
- CIPD 2020 executive pay framework
- Remuneration Committee
- High pay, gender (board membership etc), gender (pay gap), ethnic minorities pay gap, disability pay gap. 6 Nov 2 CHANGE
- Gales of creative Destruction
- Punctuated Equilibrium
- The Agile company
- Change competencies
- Worley and Mohrman (2015)
- Quinn 8 Leadership Styles