A critical examination of Advanced Clinical Practice examining three of the 4 pillars (Research, Leadership & Management, and Education) -3000 word essay (100%) for submission -27th July 2020.
Discuss critically how Advanced Clinical Practitioners can integrate theory and evidence to lead change in clinical practice.
This assignment provides an opportunity for you to focus on a clinical/service change you have, or had responsibility for. Alternatively if you have not yet undertaken a service development, the assignment is an opportunity to examine the clinical, research, leadership and management, and education issues that need to be addressed in an ACP led service development initiative. The requirement is that the service change is examined with reference to the four pillars of Advanced Clinical Practice: clinical practice, research, leadership and management, and education. (HEEWM, 2015).
The assignment should:
• Summarise the key aspects of a service development initiative you have undertaken or plan to undertake as part of your trainee Advanced Clinical Practice role, in your own clinical/organisational environment.
• Examine critically the drivers for this service development initiative-these are likely to include the policy, professional, clinical, organisational and evidence related imperatives for the change in service.
• Analyse critically the role of the Advanced Clinical Practitioner and how it relates to the healthcare team.
• Examine in detail the leadership and management issues involved in the service development initiative.
• Appraise relevant theories, concepts and evidence to inform the critical evaluation of the planning, management and quality improvement elements of the service development initiative undertaken or proposed.
The learning outcomes that need to be demonstrated in the assignment are listed below.
- Critically evaluate the role expectations of an advanced clinical practitioner with respect to the 4 pillars of advanced clinical practice: clinical practice, research, leadership and management and education. Critically reflect upon their developing role and personal developmental needs in line with these role expectations.
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of an advanced clinical practitioner’s broadened level of responsibility and autonomy and the limits of own competence and professional scope of practice in line with their respective code of professional conduct and governance systems.
- Critically evaluate theories and models of clinical leadership, service development and risk management whilst demonstrating an in-depth understanding of the processes required to successfully drive change within health care organisations.
- Demonstrate an in-depth understanding of the importance of communication and collaborative working in leading advanced clinical practice with respect to the 4 pillars of advanced clinical practice: clinical practice, research, leadership and management and education.
- Demonstrate the ability to critically appraise and synthesise the outcome of relevant research, evaluation and audit, using the results to underpin own practice and to inform that of others through dissemination of evidence based practice.
Other areas to consider:
Please refer to your course handbook for details concerning the presentation, submission and assessment of course work. The general marking criteria for the essays are itemised in the course handbook.
If you wish to discuss your ideas concerning the essay and/or submit an outline plan please make an appointment to see the module leader. Alternatively/additionally you can discuss your ideas in the allocated session in the module programme given over to assignment preparation.
- The organisation(s) which are the focus for the assignment must not be identified.
- No identifiable patient/service user information should be included
- If data/ evidence available in practice is used for the purposes of the assignment it must be anonymised.