- You may use the Vaughn Library as a repository of our web resources to find and complete this assignment – http://libguides.tjc.edu/psychology
- Examine the following twelve (12) countries. Choose three (3) countries to research. You will be researching for divorce statistics as well as any other accompanying facts that might be related. Choose from these countries: USA, Canada, Japan, Denmark, France, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom, Germany, Ireland, and Italy.
- You will write a two (2) page essay to compare the divorce rates in your three (3) chosen countries. You are to discuss the different reasons for divorce, such as age when married, whether marriage is arranged or free to marry whomever they want, the educational levels of the three (3) countries, what the three (3) chosen countries religious views are, along with second and third divorce rates and other topics as needed.
- This paper should be TYPED and a total of 5 pages, which includes:
- Cover page (APA Format)
- Essay Text (MINIMUM 2 pages)
- 2 Bar Charts
- References Page (APA Format)
- The essay should address:
- the different reasons for divorce such as age of marriage,
- whether marriage is arranged or free to marry whomever they want,
- educational levels in the 3 countries,
- what the chosen country’s religious views are,
- 2nd and 3rd divorce rates and other topics as needed.
- At the end of your essay, you must have a separate paragraph entitled Conclusion. You are to imagine yourself as a counselor or social worker (in each of your three (3) countries) and come up with ideas and initiatives as to how to deal with divorce and perhaps ways to assist couples to avoid this phenomenon.
- BAR CHARTS:
- From the data found, you will need to create two bar charts. The first should compare the total populations of the three (3) countries chosen. The second should compare the rates of divorce in the same three countries. In the chart comparing divorce rates, you MUST use percentages in order to indicate comparison. If you do not find data already in percentages, you will take the number of people divorced in each country, divided by the total number of people, multiplied by 100. PLEASE USE PERCENTAGES FOR THIS DATA REPORTING.
- REFERENCE PAGE:
- The final page should be a Reference page. See examples below on how to write a Reference page in APA format. All quoted and paraphrased information used from a source needs to be cited WITHIN THE TEXT and ON THE REFERENCES PAGE.
- Make sure you double space the paper, using one (1) inch margins and a twelve (12) point font. Also, use spell check and grammar check or use the Pearson Writing software to check your paper before turning it in.
- DO NOT copy and paste in this paper. Use your own words. If you want to quote a small portion, you may do so, but be sure to reference this on the Reference page.
How to Do a Bar Chart: You MUST have Microsoft Word (if you do not, then go to a TJC computer that does). Create a NEW document, then click on “Insert” –3rd tab from the left–Then click on “Chart”–it will give you several options–click on “Bar” and just use the first one on the left. You will then load in your variables (on the left side of the excel spreadsheet) and the numbers that go with each variable. Name your bar chart at the top. You may also use Excel or Google Sheets to create your Bar Chart.
BAR CHART EXAMPLES
FORMATTING TEXT AND SOURCES – APA(AMERICAN PSYCHOLOGICAL ASSOCIATION)
You will need at least 3 references (for example: 1 reliable internet source, 1 scholarly journal reference and your textbook), documented in APA format. See https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/01/ (Links to an external site.) for help with APA style.
Inserting text without proper documentation stated within the essay AND on the References page is considered plagiarism and a 0 will be received.
- Times New Roman font, 12pt. and double spaced is required.
- Do not write in text messaging form. For example: “My smmr hols wr CWOT. B4, we used 2go2 NY 2C my bro, his GF & thr 3 :- kids FTF. ILNY, it’s a gr8 plc” is not acceptable scholarly writing and will be returned with a ZERO grade.
- The final page should be a References page listing all sources utilized, in alphabetical order.
How to submit an assignment in Canvas–
Canvas Directions: In order to upload a document: Make sure to save your Divorce Essay document and your chart onto your Desktop and that your name is on your document. Then click on “Submit Assignment” in order to attach your paper. Then you will be prompted to “Choose File”…then find it and click on the button and hit “Submit Assignment”– a second time!
Goals For This Essay—The Four College Student Learning Outcomes are:
- Critical Thinking 1—Generate and communicate ideas by combining, changing or reapplying existing information.
- Communication Skills 1—Develop, interpret, and express ideas through written communication.
- Empirical and Quantitative Skills 2—Manipulate and analyze observable facts and arrive at an informed conclusion.
- Social Responsibility—Engage in regional, national, and global communities.