• Be mindful to use the analytical techniques addressed on the Analyzing Literature Handout.
• Use the proper heading on your work. Refer to the Syllabus.
“Roselily” by Alice Walker
1. Develop an analysis of Roselily. Do not simply describe what she does in the short story. You must make assertions about Roselily and support your assertions with information from the text.
2. The setting of “Roselily” is the South. What role does the South play in the action that occurs in the text?
3. Address two themes in the short story. Be mindful to support your assertions with information from the text.
4. Walker uses an array of symbolism and imagery. Explain how she uses symbolism and imagery to inform readers about the characters.
“Sweetness” by Toni Morrison
1. Develop an analysis of both Sweetness and Lula Ann. Use references from the text to support your assertions.
2. Identify three themes in the short story. Explain how each theme plays out in the text.