Health Information Technology Project
In previous Discussions and Applications, you have explored various aspects of health information technology systems: the historic development of Health Information Technology ( HIT), how data flows across HIT systems, and standards and interoperability requirements including specific terminologies used in your practice setting. In this Application Assignment, you will have the opportunity to further develop your analysis skills by closely examining the implementation of a health information technology system.
Investigate a health information technology system or health information technology application in your area of interest. The health information technology system/application may be in any setting where health care information is developed or managed. You may choose your system or application from any organization or virtual environment.
- Consumer health applications
- Clinical information systems
- Electronic medical record (EMR) systems in hospitals or provider offices
- Home health care applications
- School health applications
- Patient portal/personal health record
- Public health information systems
- Telehealth (i.e., from facility to home)
- Simulation laboratories
You may visit a health care organization in person or virtually to make your final choice about the health information technology system or health information technology application of interest.
Choose the best strategy to gain information about your selected information technology system/application.
Some ways to gather information include virtual visits; vendor demonstrations; on-site visits; interviews via face-to-face, phone, or teleconference. You must conduct at least one interview for this project.
Complete a literature search to gather information about your selected information technology system. You may also need to review related scholarly articles to help answer the questions presented below.
To complete your 12- to 15-page scholarly report,
- Briefly describe the health information technology system/application and the organization type (hospital, clinic, public health agency, health care software company, government health information website, private virtual health information site, etc.).
- Is the health information technology system/application clinical, administrative, educational, or research related?
- What were the key reasons for the development of this health information technology system/application, i.e., what made the organization believe this system/application was needed? How did this organization determine those needs? Did the organization use specific tools to conduct needs assessments, staff opinions, or workflows?
- How did the organization determine that this specific system/application could fulfill its predetermined needs?
- Who manages this health information technology system/application and where are they located within the organization’s administrative structure?
Information System Application Design and Development
- Many health care systems have multiple independent entities that work together toward the common goal of providing high-quality care. How did—and do—the various stakeholders make decisions related to this health information technology system/application? Were the end users involved in the development of this health information technology system/application?
- How are individuals trained to use the health information technology system/application?
- How are security issues addressed? How does this health information technology system/application support a legally sound health care record?
- Where did initial funds for this health information technology system/application come from?
- Who manages the budget for this health information technology system/application?
- Have organizational or political issues impacted the ongoing funding for this health information technology system/application?
- What are the arrangements for planned or unplanned downtime?
- How are health information technology system/application upgrades scheduled or planned?
- How has the health information technology system/application changed in response to health care reform and related legislation?
- What suggestions could you make regarding changes needed to support health care reform and related legislation?
Innovative Aspects of the System
- How does the health information technology system/application utilize technology innovations?
- What technology innovations would you recommend for this organization? What innovations presented in this course, or found through your own research, could this organization benefit from?
- What innovations could further promote evidence-based practice and efficiency within this organization?
Your report is a scholarly paper and needs to include a minimum of 10 citations from peer-reviewed journals. Every statement made in a scholarly report must be supported by a reference. Be very cautious when stating your opinion, or using terms suggesting absolute facts, or values, as these must be supported by references. Note that textbooks, including the course texts, are composed of information cited from other sources (see the reference section in the course textbooks). There should be an adequate number of appropriate references (a minimum of 10). Please note that primary sources are to be used. Peer-reviewed journal articles should make up the bulk of your references (90%). If referring to a book, be sure to include all information in APA style, including specific page numbers when necessary. Note that an article referred to in a book is a secondary source.
A superior paper demonstrates breadth and depth of knowledge, and critical thinking appropriate for doctoral level scholarship. The report must follow APA Publication Manual guidelines (7th edition) and be free of typographical, spelling, and grammatical errors. This Application is the Major Assessment for this course.