Essay – The Role of Youth Work
Weighting: 50% Word Limit: 2000 words
Summary: Write an essay that covers the topics listed below. Address the individual subjects
according to the specific marking criteria by using relevant youth work practice literature to support
your responses. Source material can include books, journal articles, reports, documents containing
policies and/or strategies, as well as Codes of Practice/Ethics pertaining to youth work practice. The
references listed at the end of each Module presentation can be used as a literature guide.
Main topics to be addressed:
- Brief introduction outlining your essay.
- Explain ONE core value and ONE key principle underlying Youth Work Practice.
- Identify THREE relevant Youth Work practice skills and explain why they are important.
- Explore and discuss the difference between Youth Work, Case Management and
- Discuss the importance of Youth Work in the context of multi-disciplinary services for
young people. Consider the intersection of relevant youth services and programs.
- Discuss ONE major risk young people are facing today.
- Analyse the role of the youth worker (as discussed above, i.e. values, principles and
importance) in working with young people experiencing ONE of the chosen risks.
- Conclusion – Review key points and provide one sentence that sums up Youth Work
Please follow the sequence of the specific marking criteria and use them as sub-headings.
• This essay must clearly demonstrate your academic writing skills, including the correct use of
references following APA format.
• The main topics and the specific marking criteria provide the basic framework for the
assignment. The specific marking criteria should be used as sequential headings to clearly
identify the responses to the individual tasks.
• The word limit has a maximum of 2000 words.
• Heading, In-text citations, Appendices, diagrams, direct quotes, title page, figures, reference
list, and tables are not included in the word count.
• Formatting of your assignment must follow the instructions in How to Do Assignments on
Marks for this assignment: 40 marks relate to the specific criteria and 10 marks relate to the general
Important: Follow the specific marking criteria by using numbered headings and address all topics as
required. Maintain a clear and balanced focus on youth work theory and practice.
Specific Marking Criteria Notes Mark
Introduction outlining your essay. /2.5
2 Youth Work Values and
Explanation of ONE core value and ONE key
principle underlying Youth Work Practice. /5
3 Youth Work Practice Skills
Identification of THREE relevant Youth Work
practice skills and explain why they are
4 Youth Work Perspective
Exploration and discussion of the difference
between Youth Work, Case Management and
5 Youth Work Importance
Discussion on the importance of Youth Work in
the context of multi-disciplinary services for
young people. Consider the intersection of
relevant youth services and programs.
6 Youth Work and Risk
Discussion on ONE major risk young people
are facing today /5
7 Youth Work Analysis
Critical Discussion on the role of the youth
worker (as discussed above, i.e. values,
principles and importance) in working with
young people experiencing ONE of the chosen
8 Conclusion The conclusion should draw together the main
points discussed in the essay.
General Marking Criteria Notes Mark
Approach to written content • The extent to which your responses correctly address
the individual marking criteria.
• The extent to which your assignment is a balanced and
• The extent to which the text reflects independent
research of relevant source material.
Rigour • The extent to which you have researched the subject.
• The extent to which you have reviewed the relevant
literature on the subject.
• The extent to which you have cited relevant sources.
• Word count achieved
Literacy • The extent to which your writing is fluent and free of
grammatical and spelling errors.
• Emphasis is placed on clarity of expression and
Organisation • The extent to which you have ordered your views. Your
points should be well integrated, coherent, and
• Use of headings and sub-headings is essential.
• A brief introduction and conclusion are required.
Please use the attainable marks as guidance for each
Referencing • The extent to which you have accurately referenced all
sources in accordance with the APA referencing
• All listed references must be cited at least once.
• All cited sources must be included in the reference list.