About this Assignment
Management Information Systems (MIS) assist management in manipulating business data, developing reports for business analysis and decision support for business operations. Students should prepare a research paper discussing the business aspects utilizing management information systems. The written assignment should follow APA formatting style. Audience: upper-level business students.
The research paper will have seven sections of management information systems concepts and should be a minimum of 1,500 words in length. Students should include responses to address the associated questions organized by section.
- A detailed definition of management information systems – What is the definition of a Management Information System (MIS)? What is the purpose of utilizing management information systems in a business environment?
- Evolution of management information systems – How have management information systems evolved with the changes in the business environment?
- Management information system elements – What elements are included in a management information system?
- Competitive advantage(s) and benefits of implementing management information systems in business – Why do businesses employ management information systems to manage business operations and provide management with information? How does the company use management information systems to realize a competitive advantage?
- Management information systems implementation – *How does a business implement a management information system? What are the advantages and benefits of implementing a management information system?
- Departmental/specialized use of management information systems – *Why do businesses utilize departmental/specialized management information systems?
- Privacy issues and concerns when utilizing management information systems – What are some examples of privacy issues that become a concern when a business utilizes management information systems?
Sources for locating the information system(s) employed by a company may include the company’s corporate website, LinkedIn SlideShare website (which details a company’s profile and information systems), corporate SEC filings, and public corporate documents on information system projects and implementation.
You may refer to the course material for supporting evidence, but you must also use at least three credible, outside sources and cite them using APA format. Please include a mix of both primary and secondary sources, with at least one source from a scholarly peer-reviewed journal. If you use any Study.com lessons as sources, please also cite them in APA (including the lesson title and instructor’s name).
- Primary sources are first-hand accounts such as interviews, advertisements, speeches, company documents, statements, and press releases published by the company in question.
- Secondary sources come from peer-reviewed scholarly journals, such as the Journal of Management. You may use like JSTOR, Google Scholar, and Social Science Research Network to find articles from these journals. Secondary sources may also come from reputable websites with .gov, .edu, or .org in the domain. (Wikipedia is not a reputable source, though the sources listed in Wikipedia articles may be acceptable.)
If you’re unsure about how to use APA format to cite your sources, please see the following lessons:
|Category||Unacceptable (0-1)||Needs Improvement (2-3)||Good (4)||Excellent (5)||Total Possible Points|
|Quality and thoroughness in defining management information system concepts (x2)||The submission was not well-written and lacked defining, supporting detail.||Most of the defining research findings achieved the basic desired result.||Discussed management information systems in a brief, yet understandable manner||Supporting detail was present in defining a management information system and was well-written.||10|
|Quality of supporting detail for implementing management information systems (x2)||The implementation discussion of management information systems was vague and lacked associated detail.||Supporting detail was not written well and was insufficient but achieved the desired result.||The supporting detail was sufficient, well-organized, understandable, and clearly written.||The supporting detail exceeded assignment requirements, was well-organized, understandable, and clearly written.||10|
|Discussion of competitive advantages realized using management information systems (x2)||Discussion of competitive advantages was not present in the submission.||Discussion of competitive advantages did not include sufficient detail.||The competitive advantages were included with sufficient supporting detail and was well-written.||Competitive advantages discussion exceeded requirements and included supporting detail.||10|
|Mechanics (x1)||Incorrect spelling, punctuation, capitalization, and use of standard English grammar that frequently interferes with meaning.||Several instances of incorrect spelling, punctuation, capitalization, and/or usage grammar||Few instances of incorrect spelling, punctuation, capitalization, and usage of grammar||No or very few instances of incorrect spelling, punctuation, capitalization, and usage of grammar||5|