About this Assignment
In this course, you have learned that businesses utilize database management systems (DBMS) to store, organize, retrieve, manipulate, and report data. For this assignment, each student will submit an analysis of the business scenario for the ABC corporation. The ABC corporation business scenario is based on a fictitious company that is developing a database management system (DBMS) for storage of product, customer, and sales data. Audience: upper-level business students.
The ABC corporation business scenario provides a foundation in which to examine the components of a database management system (DBMS), development of a system for business purposes and data collection, manipulation, and storage. The ABC corporation analysis should discuss the use of database management systems in business and examine how a DBMS presents a centralized view of data that can be accessed by multiple users. The written essay should be a minimum of 1,000 words in length and follow the APA formatting standards.
The ABC corporation is a newly established company and the owner is looking for an efficient method of collecting, storing, and manipulating data. The corporation offers a variety of pet supplies and is initially a retailer that is currently selling products only online. As the corporation grows, it plans to also include physical retail locations in which to add services to the company’s offerings.
As a startup business, the ABC corporation needs to implement a database management system to allow the collection and sharing of business data among the employees; thus, the database management system should allow for multiple users. The corporation is currently gathering information about database management systems and seeking a contractor to create and implement the system. Business data will be organized in a logical manner and will be retrieved using a client-server network.
In your analysis provide the ABC corporation with information on database management systems and a recommendation from a contractor’s perspective. Information you are providing the ABC corporation should include the following:
- Provide a definition of a database management system (DBMS) and discuss the purpose(s) in business.
- Introduce the business scenario to analyze and discuss the benefits of implementing a database management system.
- Describe what business data the company would benefit from collecting and manipulating.
- Explain how a company uses a database management system to manage data collection, manipulate data and realize benefits from usage of a database management system.
- Discuss the components of a DBMS and the process of developing a DBMS for implementation.
- Discuss why companies utilize various systems for domestic and global business functions.
Sources for locating the information system(s) employed by a company may include the company’s corporate website, LinkedIn SlideShare website (which details a company’s profile and information systems), corporate SEC filings, and public corporate documents on information system projects and implementation.
You may refer to the course material for supporting evidence, but you must also use at least three credible, outside sources and cite them using APA format. Please include a mix of both primary and secondary sources, with at least one source from a scholarly peer-reviewed journal. If you use any Study.com lessons as sources, please also cite them in APA (including the lesson title and instructor’s name).
- Primary sources are first-hand accounts such as interviews, advertisements, speeches, company documents, statements, and press releases published by the company in question.
- Secondary sources come from peer-reviewed scholarly journals, such as the Journal of Management. You may use like JSTOR, Google Scholar, and Social Science Research Network to find articles from these journals. Secondary sources may also come from reputable websites with .gov, .edu, or .org in the domain. (Wikipedia is not a reputable source, though the sources listed in Wikipedia articles may be acceptable.)
If you’re unsure about how to use APA format to cite your sources, please see the following lessons:
|Category||Unacceptable (0-1)||Needs Improvement (2-3)||Good (4)||Excellent (5)||Total Possible Points|
|Quality and thoroughness of scenario analysis (x2)||The submission was not well-written and lacked a company scenario.||Most of the scenario analysis achieved the basic desired result.||The submission discussed the scenario in a brief, yet understandable manner||Submission included a detailed company scenario and was well-written.||10|
|Quality of supporting detail in defining a DBMS (x2)||The presentation of a defined DBMS was vague and lacked associated detail.||Supporting detail was not written well and was insufficient but achieved the desired result.||The supporting detail was sufficient, well-organized, understandable, and clearly written.||The supporting detail exceeded assignment requirements, was well-organized, understandable, and clearly written.||10|
|Discussion of implementing a DBMS for business purposes (x2)||Discussion of DBMS implementation was not present in the submission.||Discussion of implementing a DBMS did not include sufficient detail.||The discussion of implementing a DBMS had sufficient supporting detail and was well-written.||Implementing a DBMS discussion exceeded requirements and included supporting detail.||10|
|Mechanics (x1)||Incorrect spelling, punctuation, capitalization, and use of standard English grammar that frequently interferes with meaning.||Several instances of incorrect spelling, punctuation, capitalization, and/or usage grammar||Few instances of incorrect spelling, punctuation, capitalization, and usage of grammar||No or very few instances of incorrect spelling, punctuation, capitalization, and usage of grammar||5|