Use two extra sources outside the reading.
Question: This discussion provides an opportunity to start this assignment. Select a nursing concept, supported by a nursing theory, and address the following components included in a concept analysis:
- Definition of concept
- Identification of three attributes of the concept
- Description of one antecedent and one consequence of the concept
- Identification of two empirical referents
- Brief explanation of theoretical applications of the concept (How is the concept relevant to a nursing theory?)
This information does not have to be comprehensive but provides a foundation to the upcoming assignment. Be sure to include scholarly references.
McEwen, M., & Wills, E. (2014). Theoretical basis for nursing (4th ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Chapter 3: Concept Development: Clarifying Meaning of Terms
Required Reading: The articles below provide information on formal concept analysis that used the steps listed in the guidelines for the Concept Analysis.
Helvig, A., Wade, S., & Eades, L. (2016). Rest and the associated benefits in restorative sleep: A concept analysis. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 72(1), 62-72. doi:10.1111/jan.12807
Robert, R. R., Tilley, D. S., & Petersen, S. (2014). A power in clinical nursing practice: Concept analysis on nursing intuition. MEDSURG Nursing, 23(5), 343-349.
Shultz, S., & Hand, M. W. (2015). Usability: A concept analysis. Journal of Theory Construction & Testing, 19(2), 65-70.